Scholarships & Funding

Funding Offered by the University


Undergraduate Students

The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences offers a number of awards each year to outstanding undergraduates, ranging from $500 to $1000. The application deadline is March 1 for the next academic year. For more information, visit KU Financial Aid and Scholarships.


Graduate Students

Information regarding graduate student funding can be found on the Graduate Studies website.

Funding Offered by KU American Studies


The John S. and Yoshino Harmon Multicultural Scholars Award in American Studies

American Studies offers an endowed scholarship in memory of the parents of former KU professor Chico Herbison and Tanya Farmer. Chico Herbison is a first-generation college student who earned four degrees at KU, including a Ph.D. in American Studies in 2006. He taught African and African-American studies at KU from 1998 through 2007, and served as faculty adviser for the Freshman-Sophomore Advising Center from 2002 to 2005. He now teaches at The Evergreen State College.

AMS Assistantships

Most departmental funding for graduate students comes in the form of Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTAs). These are awarded with an emphasis on supporting doctoral students. A teaching assistantship provides tuition coverage and a stipend for the appointment term. Applicants are considered for GTA positions based on their application materials; an additional application is not required. All teaching appointments are contingent upon budget and enrollment levels.

When individual faculty members have sufficient research funds, they may also appoint students as Graduate Research Assistants (GRAs). In addition, graduate students fill managing and editorial positions at the journals produced by AMS faculty. Tuition support varies with all non-teaching assistantships, and appointments are at the discretion of the supervising faculty members.